Like the famous adage “an apple a day, keeps the doctor away”, we can coin another: “an apple cider drink a day keeps the fat away”. We all know apples are rich sources of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Apple cider vinegar, an offshoot of apple cider vinegar, is gaining tremendous popularity among health-conscious people. It has many benefits. Let’s explore them.
Apple Cider Vinegar: An Overview
Apple cider vinegar is made from apple juice. It undergoes a two-step fermentation process to become vinegar. To make alcohol, mashed apples are first combined together with yeast and unrefined glucoses. The alcohol is then fermented with yeast and unrefined sugars to make acetic.
Acetic acid, the apple cider vinegar’s main active element, has a distinct odour and is well known for reducing belly fat and suppressing body fat buildup. The Latin word acetum, which means vinegar, is where the term “acetic” first appeared. Acetic acid makes up 5-6% in apple cider vinegar. There are also water and small amounts of other acids like malic acid.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss
Vinegar compounds have been used for thousands of years to provide alleged therapeutic benefits. For example, they were used as an antibiotic to boost strength, for “detoxification,” and even as a therapy for scurvy. Apple cider vinegar has recently been recognized for weight loss. According to a study on the relationship between apple cider vinegar and weight loss, the acetic acid created during the beverage’s fermentation process can help reduce hunger and burn fat.
Here are some benefits of apple cider vinegar that make it great for weight loss.
Satiety Increased and Sugar Response Reduced
Apple cider vinegar may encourage satiety, which can help people consume fewer calories. Vinegar ingested with high-carb meals can cause a 55% drop in blood sugar within an hour. As a result, the rest of the day’s caloric intake decreases by 200–275 calories. Apple cider vinegar reduces appetite and slows down food’s exit rate.
A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar has only three calories, no fat and little carbohydrate. Therefore, it doesn’t significantly increase the calories consumed when looking at the calorie-in, calorie-out relationship. Additionally, since there aren’t additives, you don’t need to watch out for too much sugar that could hinder your efforts to lose weight.
Reduces Fat Buildup
According to a studyAcetic acid, which is the main ingredient in this vinegar, prevents fat accumulation. It can prevent weight gain and metabolic syndrome from developing.
The HealthifyMe Note
Apple cider vinegar’s main ingredient that gets ingested is acetic acid. To combat body fat, it speeds up your body’s metabolism. Its ability to boost metabolism and appetite-crushing abilities are well-known for aiding weight loss.
What is the recommended amount for Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar widely supports weight loss, but it doesn’t mean we go insane with it. When you first start with apple cider vinegar, mix it in water. You can gradually increase the amount until you reach 1-2 tablespoons daily. One hour before meals is the best time to consume apple cider vinegar.
Drinking vinegar can make you feel uneasy. Instead, incorporate it into your meals. For example, you could add a tablespoon to your smoothie, or drizzle it over salads or steam vegetables.
Apple cider vinegar is high in acidity so you should always dilute it or drink it right after drinking to prevent enamel damage.
How can too much apple cider vinegar affect you?
High intakes of apple cider vinegar, more than 2 Tablespoons daily for a longer time, can cause several health complications.
- Vinegar’s high acidity can cause or aggravate acid reflux for certain people.
- Hypoglycemia can occur in diabetes patients who have altered insulin levels.
- Consuming large amounts of apple cider vinegar can result in excessive acid levels, which may make it difficult for people with chronic renal disease to process.
- People who take diuretics such as those in high blood pressure drugs must be careful about how much apple cider vinegar is they consume.
Try these Recipes
Apple Cider Vinegar Smoothie
Preparation time: 5 min
- Apple cider vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Water: ¼ cup
- 1 cup of apple sliced and peeled
- Avocado: 2 tbsp
- Blend the two fruits with the apple cider vinegar in your blender.
- Serve chilled.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
Preparation time: 15 min
Marinade time is 2 hours
- Cucumber thinly sliced: 2-3
- Tomatoes, chopped: 3
- 1 cup water
- Apple cider vinegar: ½ cup
- Salt A pinch
- Pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil: 1 tsp
- Parsley chopped: ¼ cup
- Onion, thinly sliced(optional): ½ cup
- Place the vegetables in a bowl.
- Combine water, vinegar and salt with oil.
- Combine the liquid mix with the vegetables.
- Keep it in the fridge for at least two to three hours. Then drain it with just a few tablespoons remaining liquid.
- Add the herbs. Serve and enjoy!
Pickled Vegetables with Apple Cider Vinegar
Preparation Time: 15 minutes (Prep Time does not include refrigeration).
- Yellow summer squash: 2.
- 4 cups of water
- Cucumber: 1
- Salt: 4 tbsp
- Carrot: 1 medium-size
- Red radish: 10
- Thyme: 4 stems
- Garlic cloves: 2 (finely diced).
- Apple cider vinegar: 1½ cups
- Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
- Lemon juice: 2 Tbsp
- After washing the vegetables, slice the squash and cucumber.
- Add two tablespoons of salt and your sliced vegetables to the strainer. Let it drain and sit for 30 minutes.
- Use plenty of water to wash the vegetables in the strainer
- While you wait, peel and chop the carrots and radishes. Then, mix the squash and cucumber together.
- Each jar should be filled with 1-2 stems of thyme and some garlic. Fill the jars with the veggies, leaving a ½-inch space from the top.
- To make the vinaigrette boil four cups water with vinegar and 2 tablespoons of salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved.
- The vinaigrette should be poured over the vegetables until the liquid completely covers them.
- Cover it and let it cool for 24 hours before you serve it.
The HealthifyMe Note
ACV is a weight loss aid that has been endorsed by health experts. It does not promote weight loss immediately. To get the best results, it must be paired with a low-calorie diet or a diet that promotes weight loss. You should be aware that ACV can make you eat less. It is easy to include apple cider vinegar in your weight loss drink. This beverage can be consumed before breakfast by taking a tablespoon. Take care not to ingest more than 2 tablespoons.
Apple cider vinegar can be used as a magic trick to shed pounds. There are many benefits to using apple cider vinegar in the right amount and with caution. Numerous scientific studies have shown that apple cider vinegar, when combined with calorie restrictions, can help people reach their weight goals.